I’ve been super busy playing with printing fabric and paper; all types of printing from lino block printing, silk screen printing and printing with patterned rollers. It’s been a huge learning curve, lots of mistakes, but super fun. I have so much to share with you all about my printing journey; Christmas was filled with hand printed presents, cards and wrapping paper. I’ll share all of the projects that I’ve been working on but for today, I’m sharing my first play with patterned rollers on fabric.
French and German grain sacks are so popular at the moment but so very expensive; especially with shipping from overseas! But for those of us that love the look but don’t want to shell out the big bucks there’s a much cheaper solution.
So, Part 3 in the make over of Ugly Frankie saw us get her to the stage where the appliqué needs to be applied. If you need to go back to Part 1 or Part 2, go ahead and read what we’ve done so far. This is the part where we move into the sewing room. Are you ready? Okay then; let’s get cracking.
About six months ago, my youngest child, Ms24 bought this hideous double bed frame with a slat base for $50 from Gumtree which I have since named Frankenstein; I would have left Frankenstein with her previous owners if it were up to me, but alas it wasn’t!
After we picked up Frankie, Ms24 asked me if I would tart her up a bit with a lick of paint; stupid me said yes – I mean helloooo; you can’t make a silk purse from a pig’s ear! If you look closely, Frankie has grooves between each horizontal plank of wood which I detest and i began to think of ways to get a finish that would hide the grooves. I thought of adding a panel of ply but i decided against it; the frame is already quite heavy and if I could get a nice finish without adding more weight then I would. Then I thought about adding wood filler to the grooves. So i spent a good week, layer by layer adding wood filler; alas, the filler kept breaking. So, Frankie was put aside until further inspiration hit….